Saturday 23 March 2013

Monkey Bread - The Bread Challenge No. 4

It's a well known fact that we eat with our eyes and when I saw the photo of my next challenge my eyes told me I had to attempt it!
An unusual loaf, with a decorative pattern when sliced, and an added flavour of red leicester cheese and chilli.
I found the recipe in "The Great British Bake Off   How To Bake" recipe book. It's quite an easy challenge, give it a go, the recipe is below.


 
Ingredients:
500g Strong White Bread Flour
1 1/2 Tsp Salt
1 x 7g Fast Action Yeast
50g Unsalted Butter
200ml Lukewarm Milk
1 Large Egg
100g Unsalted butter, melted, for coating

150g Grated Red Leicester
1/4 - 1/2 Tsp Dried Chilli Flakes

First make the dough.
Sift the flour into a bowl, add the salt and yeast and make a well in the centre. Melt the butter and add to lukewarm milk and mix in the egg. Add the liquid to the dry mix and mix together to form a dough. Knead for 10 minutes or until smooth, then place in a bowl, cover and leave in a warm place to rise for about an hour, until double in size.
When risen, "punch" the dough down to release the gas in the dough. Knead for a couple of minutes to evenly distribute the gas then cut the dough into about 60 pieces!


 
 
Roll each piece into a rough ball. Add the chilli flakes to the cheese. Dip each ball into the melted butter then cover with the cheese and place in a loaf tin. Pack them in the tin tight. I think my mistake at this stage was not to pack them tight enough.
Pack them in the tin tight.I think my mistake at this stage was to not pack them in tight enough. Cover and leave to rise.

Bake in a hot oven for 20 - 30 minutes.

Monkey Bread
Served best straight from the oven.
There is a sweet alternative to this using cinnamon and chopped walnuts instead of the chilli cheese. Maybe I will attempt that recipe soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment