Monday 18 March 2013

Homemade Pizza - The Bread Challenge No.2

Friday night is pizza night at The Old Red Lion, Litchborough.
 It's quite an original concept, I think, and we make them entirely from scratch, and to order, with several different toppings to choose from.
So this is number 2 of my bread challenge.
Have made the pizza dough twice now. Not quite sure if truely mastered it yet but tastes and looks good when cooked!
Very difficult to roll out as shrinks back each time like elastic. I need to learn to throw it around maybe to stretch it like the professionals!
So here's the recipe for the dough. I think it is a Jamie Oliver recipe but don't quote me on that. I can usually get 6 or 7 large bases from the recipe and have found it freezes well too if you don't use it all.

Ingredients:
800g Strong White Bread Flour
1 Tbsp Salt
14g Easy Blend Yeast
1 Tbsp Sugar
4 Tbsp Olive Oil
650ml Lukewarm Water

Method:
Place all dry ingredients in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the olive oil and water and mix together to form a dough.
Knead the dough.( I find I have to add more flour to dry the dough out). Place in a bowl, cover, and leave to rise somewhere warm.

When you are ready to make your pizza, remove the dough from the bowl. Divide into balls and roll individually. Remember I said it will probably shrink back as you roll? Well I lift it up and stretch it in my hands then place on a baking sheet.




We buy in some lovely homemade tomato sauce which I spread a layer of over the base first. You can use normal ketchup or even tomato puree, your choice.
Now top with your favourites, your choice entirely!
The pizza below has peppers,onion,sweetcorn,choritzo,pepperoni and big handfuls of grated cheddar.
Place in the oven at about 180C for about 15minutes or until the dough is golden brown.


Serve immediately with salad and homemade coleslaw.
Homemade Pizza


2 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa, I hesitated to post this as I don't want you to think I am sticking my oar in or being critical. I am a big fan of pizzas and love making them myself (dough and all!). I'm often in the pub and had a pizza there a while ago. Lessons I learnt from travels in Italy are to keep the base very thin, use semolina flour to dust, keep toppings simple, use mozzarella on top instead of cheddar and use the hottest oven possible. Happy to discuss in more detail if you want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for taking the time to comment on this post . Always great to receive advice and always happy to learn new things.

      Delete