Wednesday 20 March 2013

Olive Bread - The Bread Challenge Number 3

I have never been brave enough to taste an olive before. 'Brave' is probably the wrong word to use but just the look of them put me off and I had the preconception that it would be a bitter, horrible taste.
 Having said that, since working at The Red Lion, I have realised how much of a popular fruit they are. We serve them as a starter on their own or as part of our mediterranean selection starter. Knowing how popular they are when I saw the recipe for olive bread I knew it would be well received amongst the customers at the pub.

So brave I was and tried a green olive and guess what? I liked it!
So today I made the most tasty olive bread and would certainly recommend it. Tastes devine, especially straight from the oven.


Olive Bread


Ingredients
900g/2lb strong white flour
1tsp salt
1 sachet easy-blend dried yeast
3tsp sesame seeds
1 tsp dried oregano
3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
600ml/1 pint warm water
225g/8oz olives, stoned and roughly chopped

Method:
1.Place the flour,salt,yeast,sesame seeds and oregano in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the olive oil and water and work together. Knead for 10 minutes or until smooth.Put in a bowl, cover and leave somewhere warm to rise double in size, about an hour.
2. When risen, remove from bowl and knead in the olives til evenly distributed. (I had to add a lot more flour at this point as the olives made the dough very wet, though it didnt mention this in this recipe).
3. Form the dough into an oval shape and place on a baking sheet, cover and leave to rise again in a warm place. ( I got cocky at this point and split the dough into 2 loaf tins instead of a baking tray and the bread came out with a soggy bottom! )
4.Brush the top with olive oil and with a sharp knife make 3 slits along the top. Cook in a preheated oven 220C/425F/gas 7 for 10 minutes then reduce the temperature to 190C/375F/gas 5 for a further 20-25 minutes.
Smells and tastes beautiful straight from the oven
 
Olive Bread
Update from a customer tonight. Apparently the bread is to die for!



No comments:

Post a Comment