Saturday 6 April 2013

Parmesan & Garlic Rolls- Bread Challenge Number 11

So as I am nearing the end of my bread challenge now, the final challenge date being 11th April, I have to admit I have only really shared with you the best of my recipes and have not disclosed the disasters!!
 I seem to have mastered a basic loaf with different flavours and textures but, as yet, cannot master a basic bread roll. The main 2 problems usually being under cooked or over cooked.
On Wednesday I attempted iced buns but they were not successful at all, tho I believe that may have been due to the flour. Note to self "cheaper flour does not always produce best products"!
 So yesterday I allowed Vicky to pick the next recipe and she chose to challenge me with Parmesan & Garlic rolls from the bread book as I really need to master the art! So glad she did!!

So first I stir-fried 3 crushed cloves of garlic in 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pan for about a minute.
I added this, with 300ml lukewarm water, to a bowl containing 400g strong white bread flour,1 1/2 tsp salt,1 sachet fast action yeast, and 40g finely grated parmesan cheese. I mixed it all together to form a soft dough then turned it out onto a floured surface and kneaded it for 10minutes.
I left this to rise for about an hour then punched down the dough and gave it another kneading just for a couple of minutes. I then divided it into 12 equal pieces, shaped each piece into a smooth round and placed on a baking tray.
Parmesan & Garlic Bread Rolls proved and ready to go in the oven
I left them for another hour in a warm place, covered until doubled in size then brushed the tops with milk and sprinkled some extra grated parmesan on each top (about 15g) before baking for 12  minutes in the oven at  200C.
The recipe says 12-15minutes, but I wasnt taking any chances, and at 12 minutes they looked a nice colour brown so I took them out.
They looked lovely!
Parmesan & Garlic Bread Rolls
The final test was to cut one open and to check there was no raw dough in the center, and guess what?
Challenge number 11 completed with a perfect bread roll!!
Parmesan & Garlic Bread Rolls

No comments:

Post a Comment